Friday 15 January 2010

Breakfast.

I thought I'd give people a little insight into the gritty, austere life that I'm leading out here in the Syrian capital. I invariably get my breakfast from the local baker/pastry-man. I haven't quite got the hang of leaving the house exactly in time to catch the pastries coming out of the oven, but I am working diligently at it. These two guys are a representative sample of what the bakery has to offer.




Specimen 1 is my favourite. When it's fresh from the oven, it's really unbeatable. Let's take a look inside.



The soft pastry houses a rich nut/cinnamon/sugar mix. The perfect start to a day of studying Arabic (or doing anything). Specimen 2 is less distinctive, but still has a lot going for it.




Mmmmm. What looks like a mere doughnut with fancy chocolate icing in fact has more to offer: specifically, some delicious custard-like filling. Good show.

Normally, I would have a pastry with a freshly squeezed juice or, if I'm short on time, I wait for a cup of sweet tea at the university. 

1 comment:

  1. This is such brutal and unflinching portrayal of everyday Syrian life.

    I respect the fact that you didn't shy away from showing the leaking insides of any of your subjects.

    This year's Pulitzer is surely yours...

    ReplyDelete